Wednesday, October 5, 2011

VINeleven at the Marriott in Napa

   Chef Damo says:  4 out of 5 saute pans 

    Arriving in Napa on a Sunday during football season was worrisome for me, but not even a second thought for The Bitch.  While I was having trouble finding a sports bar it was no issue for her to find an outlet shop with hundreds of shoes, purses, and clothes to rummage through.  Luckily we met another couple and immediately split company so the girls could drain bank accounts and the boys could get some grub and catch the second half of the days NFL games.  Using a map search on my Iphone I found a  place touting bar food and TVs.  Bidding our females and our cash farewell we headed to the Marriott.  As promised the games were on and the sound was on: bonus.  I can't stand going into a "sports bar" only to be listening to some drunk cougar's juke box mix while she preys on drunk college students. 

     Service was quick and friendly and I had a beer on the way.  When I am traveling I like to try beers from the area, so I ordered a pint of Damnation.  Described as a Belgian ale from the Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa.  It was a great beer and I had several. Only later when drunk did I discover it was 8% alcohol (about double the amount of most domestic brews). I thought I was just tired from the drive in. Good thing I wasn't the only one drinking.  When my buddy ordered a Baileys and coffee he was told they were out of Baileys.  I tossed out the idea that maybe they have Jamison, which they did, and he was on his way.  I guess we could knock them for not having the Baileys, but whiskey before noon is always a good choice.

     Not on the menu was a special of the day was a  BLT with heirloom tomato, and locally raised bacon on focaccia.  Sounded good and tasted awesome.  I forgot what my companion ordered because my sandwich was so good I barely looked up to check the scores of the game.  The tomato was about a half an inch thick and juicy, the bacon was so thick and meaty, and the bread was fresh, soft, warm, and full of delightful herbs.  Going back to a regular BLT will be next to impossible after this bad boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment